Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's been a long summer

I decided to catch up a little on my blog since it has been awhile. July was a busy month for us with kids home and summer activities. But the best day every July is the 30th. This year Brent and I "celebrated" our 17th anniversary. We started dating when I was almost 17 which means I now have spent more time with him than without him. I love him more and more every day. I have been thinking about all the ways I have changed because of his good influence. I try to slow down a little, read the directions, think twice speak once and I have learned to love politics. He is my partner in every sense of the word. He is an amazing father who has a "hands on" approach to parenting. I love that he will help out with diapers, getting up at night and other tasks. He's truly my best friend. We find it difficult lately to find time for each other but we are trying to be better about it. I miss him during the day. He is my rock. I can count on him to be rational, thorough and fair.
Brent has more integrity than anyone I know. When we were first married ( in the olden days before caller ID) the phone rang and I said, "just tell whoever that I'm not here" he answered the phone and said "yes she is" and handed it to me. I glared at him to which he replies "I choked!" He couldn't even tell a "little" lie. I love that about him. He has a calming influence on our home. He is more patient than I could ever dream.
Brent has a strong testimony of the Gospel. My own testimony has been strengthened from his knowledge and understanding of scripture and things of the Spirit. He is a worthy priesthood holder who when called upon can bless our kids. I love to listen to him give a fathers blessing. It's almost as if you can hear him listening to the Spirit guide his words.
I feel lucky to have married such an amazing man. I am grateful that he puts up with my short comings. He holds himself to a high standard without judging those around him. He loves them where they are at. If he will have me, I will keep him forever. I imagine meeting the Savior one day, standing behind Brent, hoping that my choice to marry him buys me a few points :)

I love you Brent! Thanks for 17 great years!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

That's a really sweet post. I liked your last comment. Reminds me of thinking when my husband gets translated, maybe I could hold onto his ankle and say, "I'm with him!!"

Alyssa said...

Awwww....so sweet. A guy like your hubby would never choose to be with someone that wasn't of the same quality and caliber. I am sure he feels just as blessed to have YOU in his life. What a great post. Thanks!

Mia said...

That was the sweetest, Linda! You've got a grateful heart.

Aimee said...

That is so sweet!! I am glad you are so in love!

I must say that it didn't sound like you to not want to take a phone call. You were famous in jr high and HS for loving the phone!! :)