Thursday, October 15, 2009

How to read the BOM in 30 days....or so

16 days ago, I decided to read the Book of Mormon all the way through during the month of October. I did it 6 times while I was pregnant with Jason so I figured it would be fine. I remembered that you need to read 17 chapters a day to get finished in one month. So I started and did really well for 10 days when I realized I was getting through it pretty fast. Silly me, you only need to 17 PAGES to finish in one month. Hee-hee I have tried to keep up a quick pace, but not 17 chapters! The reason I am posting this on my blog is that I wanted to share a few blessing I have received because of this goal I set for myself.
Every day, I learn something that profoundly impacts my life. I am grateful for the Book of Mormon and the lessons in it. It has strengthened my testimony of our Father's love for each of us. It has given me examples to share with my kids to help them through problems in their lives. It has made me realize that I can do more for my friends and strangers. The biggest thing that has stuck out to me this time is the advice the dad's give to their boys and families before they die. It has made me think of my own dad and the advice and warnings he gave me before his death. In fact, it has been so touching that in Alma when he was counseling his boys for the last time, I could hardly get through it. I wished I wrote down things from the last blessing my dad gave me. I remember only a little. I am grateful for the time and effort they took to keep the history.
I love to read the Book of Mormon quickly, it helps me keep every one's families straight. Next time I look forward to taking a little more time to ponder stuff. :)
Thanks for letting me share. I only have 135pages left and I am looking forward to starting over.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

WOW! You are amazing. I read it in 30 days once years ago and I still remember how much I learned from it. You have inspired me. I am going to do it too, starting today! Thanks for the inspiration and reminder of how much we need the words of the Book of Mormon in our daily lives!

Shelley said...

Holy cow...that is a lot of chapters in a day! I want to know when you find that much quiet time! I am trying to finish the New Testament right now and am going to start the BOM again soon!

Marianne said...

Great job Linda, keep it up. You're an inspiration!

Unknown said...

You are amazing Linda! I have never read it that fast, but I'm sure you get a lot more out of it when you do. I think I will do it too. (the 17 pages a day, not the 17 chapters holy cow!) Thanks for being an inspiration! :)

Heather said...

Thanks, Linda! I'm so glad you shared this. :)

Rekehl Johnson said...

You are my hero!

- Rekehl