For 8 months now I have been driving with an expired license. Why? You may ask....because I never legally changed my name 16 years ago when I got married. I told Brent that I wanted to see if things worked out first (ha ha) So I took Jared to get his learner's permit today and decided it was time to take the plunge. I called ahead to verify all the legal docs I needed so I was prepared. I step to the window to speak to a lovely DMV employee ( I mean stereo-typical DMV employee) to do my 'thang'. She informs me that I must have brought in the necessary info because my name was already changed, I explained the letter I received informing me I could not renew by mail because of the discrepancy. She seemed confused and told me I could renew without the docs I brought. (good thing I hunted down my marriage license) I didn't argue because all I wanted was a new license. I filled out the paper work and paid my money and was on my way in no time. The lady was not nice. I don't know why, I was nice. Sometimes, when someone is rude to me it is a like a game for me to try to win them over by being even nicer....It didn't work. Jared was at the next window....his lady was nice.... Either way, we are both legal to drive now. Jared took the written test and I will admit that if I had to take it I may not have passed. Now I get to go back to the Social Security Dept. and change my SS card....maybe next Monday.
The moral of the story, Be nice. My dad always said, " You can catch more flies with honey". Who wants flies? Oh wait...
8 comments:
Good to know they were nice to Jared. I get to go and get Kenzee's learner next monday. Wish me luck!!
HA! I got that same letter! I too didn't get my name changed when I got married - actually back then I really didn't know I had to do that, I thought you got married, your name was changed. However, I found out this is not true when he IRS tracked me down to say I had been filing taxes under the wrong name. So now I have to file with all my names, Rekehl Satterthwaite Johnson is a mouthful. It's been 22 years and I'm thinking why bother changing it??? But now I too have to go to the DMV with documentation and I'm thinking WHAT DOCUMENTATION??? I have no idea what they want me to bring so I've been putting it off.... Maybe we could go to the Soc. Sec. Dept. together and both change our names together since we're keeping our husbands...
Rekehl :)
okay first of all, what in the crap? Jared is going to be driving? not that he will be a terrible teenage driver, I am sure he is going to have mad skills in this area but, how are you possibly old enough for this. Also, Darn it, I spent last monday in at the DMV, we should really coordinate our schedule, I had to replace my lost license only to find out that my license was suspended due to a medical issue, 3 trips later I finally have a terrible picture on a piece of paper called a drivers license .
Yeah! You're legal! That cracks me up that you hadn't changed your name. Too funny! I can't believe Jared will be driving. You must have had him when you were what, twelve?!
Close Crystal, I was 13 and a half. But we don't talk about it... :)
BTW, if anyone else needs to go to the SS dept. Rekehl and I will be there. We could do lunch!
Congratulations on your legal ability to drive, Mrs. Barton! :)lol
I love reading your posts. I'm liking the game idea. Going to try that one if I can manage to step out of the situation long enough to strategize. Never happened before, but there's a first time for everything! You have to understand, you work on a higher level than I do intellectually. You probably knew that. One step ahead.... That's ok. You love me just the way I am.
Sometimes it's hard to be nice to rude people. I just try and tell myself that they might have had something happen that day that was really horrible, that always helps me to be nicer to them and feel sympathy instead of anger. It works for rude drivers too. ;)
Jax will be 15 in Jan. I don't know if I want him driving yet. HA!
Post a Comment