Monday, May 24, 2010

Dear me,

Dear me,
There have been a few things that I want to talk to you about lately. First of all, I know you are under a lot of stress but how bout not taking it out on the ice cream...I mean, it never did anything to you but love and comfort you. Also, vegetables can be good. TRY ONE! :) Also, I miss the treadmill. Once a week isn't enough.
I know you love your kids but homework is important. Make them do it...before it is late. School will be out soon and you can play all you want at that time.
Jason is no longer a baby, he needs a big boy bed. None of your other kids slept in a crib this long. Sure, it's easy. He doesn't get out by himself and will go straight to sleep, but you can train him to stay in a bed.
The only reason to make a special trip to Maverick is for milk. You don't need to go there for a fountain drink even though they taste better. For 11 years, cans of diet coke were fine. And if you do stop there, skip the candy isle!
When you find yourself watching Dora the Explorer....STOP IT! Read a book, do a dish, take a shower. (which BTW is NOT optional)
Get out of your jammies even if you have no where to go. It will make you feel better. And I don't mean shower and put your jammies back on. (sweats are jammies immediate relative)
Don't worry so much about things out of your control. I know this is easier said than done but could you try...for me?
When you are struggling for patience with your children just remember that everyone of them are acting their age. You are the one who isn't. They aren't going to learn all of life's great lessons today, it's a process. Give them a chance to make mistakes and learn the lessons from them. In the process, try to learn something yourself.
Each day, just try to do a little better than the day before. When you feel alone, remember you have great friends and Heavenly Father who loves you in spite of you. Rely on Him for strength and courage.
Finally, it's okay to be nice to yourself. Seriously, would you let anyone talk to your kids the way you talk to yourself? No, so knock it off.
Love,
Me

8 comments:

Marianne said...

LOL! I wanna copy this! :) So glad you posted it.

Carrie said...

I love it, ditto and all of the above. Sweats are too close a relative to jammies but...
Let's have a jammie anonymous meeting every morning, lets say 10 or so at Maverick soft drink fountains, see you there.

Jenni said...

What a great idea. Love it! And let yourself know that you aren't the only one who feels this way. These are things that we all struggle with (either that or you and I have a lot in common...) ;)

Unknown said...

Wow Linda if it weren't for the crib part I would think you were writing it for me. Especially the Maverick part. Darn candy isle! Oh and the kids acting their age part. I just try to remember that when I was 15 I probably thought the world revolved around me too. It's nice to know that we are all going through the same things and we are going to survive! (I hope! lol) :)

Crystal said...

Love it! But I thought they built that Maverick just for us moms who deserve a fountain drink that tastes a little better than the canned stuff! I mean, I don't have a little button that will add cherry flavoring to my coke, do you? :) I think Carrie's right, we need a jammies/Maverick anonymous group. Love you! You're great!

Linda Barton said...

We need the group, but could we make it 10:30? 10:00 might be a little to early for me. lol

Kersten said...

MMmmmm, now I want a big Coke Zero from Maverick with lots of ice. I've already had two cupcakes and two plates of leftover potato crab salad. *sigh*

Mia said...

Hahahaha. I love this post. You're a crack-up. And simultaneously profound. How do you do that? My new mantra, "My kids are all acting their ages, but I am not. Cowboy up, then." Giddy up....