Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Finding 10 things to do:

I wanted to set some goals this year but be realistic about my ability and desire to accomplish the goals. I thought about many things, like organizing my home (which is the bane of my existence). And....okay just organizing. But seriously, I know myself. I can't do it. I lack the "know how" to be 100% organized. There are plenty of thing I want to do....in theory. But realistically, I know they won't happen because I have no desire to follow through. So, I came up with a few thing that I am passionate about that will challenge me a little and I will be able to commit to with integrity knowing that I have the ability and desire to do it. Here goes...

This year I am going to read the Book of Mormon 7 times. My old record (set in 2007) was 6, so I think I can add one more time. I need the personal guidance that I receive from the Holy Ghost that only comes through scripture study. I started today.

This year I am going to spend more one on one time with my husband. We don't date as often as we should and life is passing by us so quickly that I feel like our kids will soon start leaving us and we better like to spend time with each other.

This year I will make a more concentrated effort to give my children more responsibilities to help them prepare for their next phases in life. It's a sobering thought that Jared will be leaving on a mission in 2 1/2 years, and Katelyn will be (cough)dating. (makes me want to hurl just thinking about it.) If I knew 10 years ago what I know now, I wouldn't have taken time for granted . Luckily, I have 2 stragglers who will get the benefit of all my wisdom when they start hitting their teenage years in 6 and 9 years. For example, I want to teach my big kids to cook. Just a few meals so I know that Jared on his mission will have the knowledge to do more than make Ramen noodles.

I want to attend the temple more than I did last year, which fortunately for me won't be too hard. :) I haven't set a specific number or am even sure how I will accomplish this but I have a deep desire. When I was pregnant with Tyler I went every Tuesday to the temple. Little did I know that it would be 7 years before I could get back into a regular routine of going. It is a good thing I was comfortable resting on my laurels all these years or I may feel guilt. :)

This year I am going to be better at budgeting our money. I am learning techniques that I think will work for our family, and I would like to increase our saving.

Well, I could only come up with 5 so I guess that will have to do. BTW, I am always open to organizing suggestions. The ONLY area in my entire home that is organized is my phone desk drawers. I learned many years ago some tips from Lorenne (miss her!!!) on organizing your desk and she outlined a plan for a homemaking night. I loved it! It was simple and easy to maintain. I can copy, I just have no ideas on how to start.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Hey, I'll go with you if you want to go to the temple. I need to go more often. I think at our family's rate of reading, we will be done with the Book of Mormon in 7.4 years. :)

Rekehl Johnson said...

Okay, you've inspired me to make some worthy goals. I too need to up my game and it can help me, right?

Mia said...

Seriously--if I had a free Saturday, I would LOVE to get all crazy organized at your house. Maybe when Elle starts school in a couple years? But I'll tell you the experts number one suggestion--they all agree--it's de-junking. If you have less stuff, you have less mess. Get a garbage bag and a DI bag, and be ruthless. They go as far as saying that the 80/20 rule applies, since you use only 20 percent of your stuff 80 percent of the time. In other words, they're convinced most people have a TON they could unload.
Anyway, I love your goals. Very relatable. And your BofM goal is SUPER awesome!

MissMolly said...

Hey! I just kinda got a little into couponing! I'd be happy to give you the tips and tricks that I've learned if you want to save money! Also, Glenn and I would be happy to spend some time with the kids so you and Brent can go on a date night... to the temple... That would be 2 items on the list! :) We always need a good play break from wedding planning!