Hold to the rod~James ChristensenI love this picture. I came across it on a blog that I read. I am no artist but this pic was thought provoking to me. I couldn't help but think about the things in my life that I hang on to that make it difficult to hold to the rod. 2Nephi 1:23 states, "Awake my sons; put on the armor of righteousness. Shake off the chains with which ye are bound, and come forth out of obscurity, and arise from the dust."
To me, the worldly possessions along with sins, anger, grudges etc., are the chains that bind us and prevent us from grabbing hold of the iron rod, which is the Gospel and the plan of Salvation.
I also wonder if the artist was depicting pride with the worldly possessions. I know that when I am consumed with focusing on materialistic things, I am less focused on the Gospel. Life gets so busy and comes at us so fast, it makes me wonder what my hands are full with that make it difficult to *hold the rod*.
So, I'm curious. What does this painting make you think of? Any thoughts on this?
7 comments:
At first it made me want to go shopping (is that bad?). But after your question I looked again and I see him looking to heaven, realizing all that he is blessed with, and possibly feeling a bit ashamed with the hording of his worldly possessions???? I feel that way sometimes. I get bummed because we missed the opportunity to take that awesome vacation because of BJ's school or we ccan't go 4-wheeling with our friends because an ATV is not in the budget.
Then it's like I get a well deserved smack over the face and realize how awful this world is, how materialistic, selfish, and greedy I can be, and how much I am truly blessed with!!!!
I must say that it's nice to sit back and ponder the wonderful spiritual, emotional, and even wordly blessings we have. Thanks for helping me open my eyes again today. What a good start to my fabulous morning! ;)
first of all...sorry again for teasing you in RS. I hope you know I was totally kidding. We all benefit from your insight. :)
So when I looked at the picture I noticed how close and accessible the rod was. If he would have put a few things down, he still could have held on with one hand. We don't have to drop all the things in life to live the gospel, we just need to make sure that we always have one hand tight to the rod. If we want to get deeper, we could say that balancing our load we carry is easier if we are holding on to something sturdy. We are able to carry more and do more if we have a firm foundation.
PS I laughed at Jenni's comment that the picture made her want to go shopping! :-)
I think about juggling all the things we're "supposed" to be doing at any time. Exercising, cleaning the house, being a good neighbor, reading to the kids, weeding, serving, etc etc etc. There are only so many hours in the day, and it's easy to get overwhelmed if we must "carry" all of the things we're supposed to be doing all the time! This picture reminds me to "drop" all the burdens I carry and concentrate on the ones that will actually make a difference in someone else's life.
Wow, good job deep thought friends! The comments were thought-provoking to me, many of the thoughts were things I hadn't thought about.
Jill, you made me laugh in RS. You have to know, I rarely get offended. And I only say rarely because I know as soon as I say never, it will happen! I thought you were teasing, and if you weren't...it didn't bother me. :)
Is he single too? He he... :)
I am sure if that was a picture of any one of us, we would have twice as much in our arms. Sometimes I sit back and think about all of the things I do in a day and all that I am responsible for and I get overwhelmed! But I know that as long as I am putting the "good things" first in my life, the rest falls into place. And when I fall short, there are good people in my life that are right there to help me pick up what I can't carry.
"it makes me wonder what my hands are full with that make it difficult to *hold the rod*"
Duh Linda...Diet Coke.
You guys are awesome and very thought provoking! I look at that picture and it reminds me how easy it is to let go of the rod! Even if it is for "good" things. We have been counseled not to let too many "good" things get in the way of eternal life. I was telling a friend just yesterday that it is going to be the little things that keep me out of heaven. Now I am going to grab that rod and start my day! Thanks Linda for refocusing my day!
Post a Comment