Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Things that make me happy...

One of my oldest friends had a post like this on her blog and it inspired me to make a happy list. Just so if I am feeling down I can remember a few things I am happy about.

1. It makes me happy to listen to really good music. When you are in the car and you hear all your favorite songs on the radio....isn't that the best?

2. It makes me happy to see my kids succeed. I love to see them proud of themselves. I even feel a little happy when they struggle to succeed. I see the amazing people they are becoming and I feel so proud.

3. It makes me happy to sit by my husband. I fall asleep next to him on the couch almost every night. He watches t.v. late sometimes and I don't like to go to bed without him.

4. It makes me happy (and a little proud of myself) when I let things go. I have struggled with anxiety all of my life and am learning the joy in being at peace with my short comings.

5. It makes me happy to talk on the phone. As a stay at home mom, I feel isolated sometimes and my phone is like a connection to the outside grown-up world. When I was a teenager, the only way my parents could punish me was to take away the phone...brutal.

6. Santa Clause makes me happy. I love the idea of him sneaking in to leave presents so no one can see him. The guy is the ultimate in unselfishness. I love all my Santa's in my Christmas box. When I buy one, I look at his eyes and face. Each one means something different to me. My dad was the best Santa. He was a great example of giving without being noticed, never keeping anyone on the naughty list and he even had a kin of ho-ho-ho laugh.

7. It makes me happy to think about my dad. He has been gone nearly 10 years now and I miss him. Right after he died, I got sad when I thought of him because I missed him so much it hurt. I am glad that now I am happy when I think of a funny thing about him or even some irritating quirk that I now notice in myself.

8. Diet coke makes me happy....(don't judge me) I know it is shallow but diet coke with lime is the best. (sigh)

9. It makes me happy when my family is all at home with nothing to do. I love to relax with them. Each of the kids are so different but they are all funny and fun to be around.

10. It makes me happy to watch Jared pitch. I am proud of his abilities and also the way he keeps his composure when he is down in the count.

11. It makes me happy to listen to Katelyn play the piano, she is talented and has come far in a short period of time.

12. It makes me happy to listen to Tyler talk about how he entertains his kindergarten class. Every day he has to think of something funny to make his friends laugh. Yesterday, after he finished his work he stood up and said, "sha-boom, I'm done!" That was all, but he makes his friends laugh. I apologize in advance to any primary teachers who will witness his act. :)

13. It makes me happy to listen to Jason. He learns new stuff each day....most of it naughty. I love the terrible two's. I had give him a little consequence the other day to which he replied, "that makes me so sad!" I had to leave because I was laughing.

14. It makes me happy to be Mrs. Brent Barton. He is so handsome and amazing! He is so smart, I am glad every day he is with me. I feel lucky to be with him.

15. It makes me happy to do hair. I love my job! My clients are my friends, I love to make them look and feel good about themselves.

16. It makes me happy to read the Book of Mormon. I have read it many, many times and love the message and peace I feel when I am close to the Spirit.

17. Lastly, bed time always makes me happy. I love the craziness of having four kids, and I love when they are worn out and go to sleep.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

what a great list, you are awesome, and I totally get the diet coke thing.

Marianne said...

That's great. I love talking to you on the phone. Your kids are great! You are one blessed lady.

Alyssa said...

Awesome post! I love to hear about happiness. Wouldn't this world be such a great place if we all shared our secrets to happiness every day? I enjoyed learning a thing or two I did not know about you, too. And, when I come back to Utah I think maybe we need to begin a "hair" relationship. I am suffering through bad hair here in FL, and need your expertise. I totally forgot that you had a background in that. Thanks for this post. It made me happy!

Mia said...

I loved this post. It inspired me. And your thought for the day ROCKS. I'm going to say it at Christmas parties and pretend I came up with it myself! (Don't tell anyone...)

Kersten said...

Love your list! You have a diet coke friend in me. Well, actually Coke Zero now but still..I totally get you.

Nate said...

What?!? Dad was Santa? My life is ruined, thanks sis.

Glad to see I didn't make your top 17 list, makes me feel good. My list may be a lot like yours...but diet coke might get three entries by itself:

-Diet coke makes me happy
-Diet coke with cheese fries makes me happy
-Diet coke from QT with its filtered water and crushed ice cubes makes me happy

Did I ever tell you that every break room in my office has a fountain drink machine with diet coke? Needless to say, it makes me happy.

Linda Barton said...

18. It makes me happy to think about Nate....he's nice. :)