
I am lucky enough to be married to my best friend. I also am not a huge fan of Valentines Day, mostly because for many years I set myself up for disappointment. You ladies know what I mean, you envision a perfect evening where a limo driver hands you a mysterious note and whisks you away to a surprise location where you have a romantic evening (kid free) where your spouse has prepared a list of all the things he loves and appreciates about you with 10 dozen roses (ha ha) and and exquisite room where you make beautiful "music" and fall asleep in each others arms...blah...blah...blah.... Has this happened to you...I don't think so.
Reality is, we are moms. We can't even close the bathroom door. Let alone leave for an evening! Years of wisdom has taught me to lower the bar. Not in a bad way, just in a way so I focus on what is important. My husband.
Every day my sweetheart shows me he loves me by doing whatever he can to ease my burdens. He has been "called up" to take on my role many times. Like when I had liver surgery and was out of commission for many many months, or the pesky pulmonary embolism that nearly kicked my tail...unfortunately I could go on and on. But the point is, whenever I need him, he is there. And don't tell him I said this but he is better at my job than I am. There is never a doubt in my mind that he loves me. It is not exaggerating to say that every day out of the year he shows me in his own way how much he loves me. The trick was figuring out what that meant. He works hard for our family. I mean physically exhausting hard. He always puts my needs above his, and the needs of our kids. I have to be careful that I look out for him because he doesn't. He is the most unselfish person I know.
I am glad we have a day out of the year to celebrate love. I love Brent Barton. He is amazing!
So, maybe he's not a romantic.....I've realized that I don't need that. I need a partner and that is what I have in Brent. Someone to shoulder my burdens. Someone who cooks dinner when I don't feel like it, who will do laundry if I need, and takes an active role in car pool duties. All-in-all, I am I lucky woman.
I hope everyone has a great Valentines Day and is as luck as I feel.
3 comments:
Well said! Have a great weekend.
That was sweet. Husbands are the best...or maybe the best are our husbands!!!:) Either way, I love Valentine's Day because it really gives us the chance to talk about why we love each other and what drew us to each other in the first place. Sounds like you found a great man, and he found a wonderful woman too! Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Brent is also a lucky guy! You forgot that one. I'm glad you have each other!
Post a Comment