Thursday, December 18, 2008

Santa and my Dad

This is my dad and little bro Nate.
My little brother posted some funny memories of our dad. If anyone doesn't know, my dad died about 8 years ago. My dad loved Christmas. I think one of the reasons I love Santa so much is he reminds me of my dad. My dad was the ultimate Santa. He was kind to everyone. Sometimes it was even embarrassing. I remember a waitress at Wingers that my dad befriended. It seemed semi-inappropriate to me, however, I later found out that she was a newly-wed working mom who wanted to buy a home and was having trouble saving a down-payment. My dad was a real estate broker and he donated his commission so her family could buy their first home. He was always doing things like that. Another time it was snowing hard and a lady had broken down in her car. My dad and Brent were together and he pulled over to see if she needed a ride anywhere. She said no that someone else was coming and they drove away. Brent commented that he didn't think a woman should get into a car with 2 men, my dad said "If she needed our help, the Holy Ghost could have prompted her that it would be okay." He always looked for opportunities to help. One important thing I learned from my dad is "do what you can with what you have."

One way I try to honor my dads' memory it picking certain qualities that he possessed and trying to improve that area in my life. In doing this I have learned to listen to the Holy Ghost and help people who needed me. I try to be kind to everyone and look at things from their perspective. My dad was so quick to forgive that I have learned to be the same way.

I feel so blessed to have had a wonderful dad for 26 years of my life. (even though during plenty of those years I didn't know how great he was) I miss him every day. I've also learned plenty of things because he died. For example, I've learned that my dad is still around watching over his family. He still has a great desire to help us all and he will if we listen carefully to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. It has also made me realize that our Father in Heaven has always been there watching over my family and He has a great desire to bless us if we seek His counsel.

Any-who, thanks for reading, I wish all of my friends knew my dad. He would have treated you like a daughter if you were important to me. In fact, sometimes when I was first married, I thought he liked Brent more than me! He always welcomed our friends to our home and treated everyone with respect. I look forward to the day (in a long, long time) when I get to see him again.

11 comments:

Nate said...

Your post is way more serious than mine.

One quality about our Dad that sticks out most for me (and should for you...hehehee) is how forgiving he was. I could do the dumbest thing ever...as soon as I knew it was dumb, he would never mention it again, and it would be as though it never happened.

Every day was a new day for him. Negative things that happened the day before were completely forgotten.

Luckily, I am able to do it too...it makes life so much better. I know I would never be able to act that way had it not been for his example.

Linda Barton said...

I agree, it has helped me with teenagers. I can love them inspite of their mistakes, and forgive them quickly.
Also, it has helped me understand the Atonement. It doesn't matter how horrible you feel, their is forgiveness if you accept it.
Thanks for the picture (I stole).

Marianne said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that with everybody. I need to appreciate my Dad while he is still here. If your Dad is half as great as you are, he's someone I wish I could have known too.

Shelley said...

I'm glad that even though your dad has passed away, you can remember him with fondness and still feel his presence around you. He sounds like an amazing guy and you are lucky to be his daughter!

Nate said...

Steal away...it was a lot of work pulling that out of my wedding album. It should go to good use. Plus, the good looking guy-o-meter skyrocketed when my young self showed up on your blog.

Another random memory:
Remember how Dad used to come up to us and say..."oh crap, it happened again." And what he was really saying is that he once again looked in the mirror and got better looking.

I do that to my kids. Sad huh.

Heather said...

What a wonderful way to remember your father. Thanks for sharing! I still appreciate so much your help to me last year when I needed it. I know you were able to help me because you understood loss, I hope to do the same for others.

Jill said...

Your Dad sounds like someone I would have liked to have met. What a great guy.

Rekehl Johnson said...

Linda you did have a great dad. I grew up knowing him and he was a wonderful guy and he did give of himself so much. He was so warm and kind and made everyone feel like a friend. I remember him taking time to write me a letter of reference for Girls State in High School even though I knew he was so busy. He kinda reminds me of my dad they have some similar qualities and looks. You have your dads kindness and friendliness and I KNOW you make your dad proud. The apple doesn't fall from the tree.

- Rekehl

CrazyCow said...

Linda - Thanks for sharing that about your dad. It makes me love my Dad even more, and want to spend more time with him while he is still with me. My Dad is just a big Teddy Bear too. Also, your blog looks great. I love the pics of your kiddos. They are all so cute!

Elizabeth said...

I feel like I kinda know your dad because I know you. You are wonderful! I always want to be better after I talk to you (which I've really missed...I'll have to call you soon...once Christmas passes...and New Years...and the kids are back in school...good think we have blogs!).

Mia said...

I'm so glad to have seen a photo of your dad! Now we've officially met. I loved your post. I'm all warmed up and fuzzied inside. Thanks.

I read Nate's comment about, "Oh, crap!..." It made me giggle... hard. I needed that.