Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine Do-Over

My family has a really fun Valentine's Day tradition. It started when the kids were little, babysitters were hard to come by so we started our own family valentine dinner. We had a candle light dinner with spaghetti, garlic bread and salad. Also, sparkling cider with a fancy table setting with a red table cloth. The kids called it "dinner with fire". Over the years, we have had so much fun celebrating as a "fam" and on the weekend, Brent and I try to go out together.

This year we took a last minute trip to St. George for baseball so we weren't home to have our "fire dinner". So, I am going to pretend that NEXT Saturday is Valentines Day and do it then. It's all good, right?

I heard a man once describe Valentines Day in kind of a sad way. He said, "If you think about it, men have no where to go but down on Valentines Day. There's so much pressure to do something nice that when you do, you don't gain any ground....you just did what was expected. If you mess up, obviously you lose ground with your wife. It's a no-win situation." I think that's sad. I hope it's not like that for most people. I love Brent and I hope to show him every day, especially on the day designated for an outward show of affection.

So, if you were disappointed with V-day this year....have a do-over. It's never too late to let the most important person in your life know how much they mean to you!

4 comments:

Shelley said...

I love the "fire dinner" tradition! I may just have to adopt that one into our family as a tradition! :)

Marianne said...

I love that idea. Why is it that the men have to do something for their wives? Can't the wives do something for their husbands? How about no more "gimmies" from the wives!

brees said...

I had a friend tell me that Valentines Day is "Single Awareness Day!" How sad for her!!

All of our neighbors were in St. George for baseball this weekend, that sounds fun! We should have gone with you!!

Jenni said...

I love the idea of the 'family dinner'. I think there comes a point in life (when kids come) that V-day has a different meaning. It doesn't have to be all about romance, but being together as a family. I think I might just have a Valentine do-over and use your tradition. Thanks for the awesome ideas!