Once upon a time there was a boy named Jared. He was a good boy. He tried all the time to choose the right and to be good in every way. Last week he pitched his very first no hitter in baseball. He pitched 6 fabulous innings! Last night we were in a tournament with his High School league where he gets up to bat and smashes a double to left field. It was awesome. He was on 2nd base timing the pitcher and decided to steal to third when he slid into third base and slid into the cleat of the third baseman and opened up his right thumb. Luckily his cut was shaped into a Y (nice scar, eh?) He ended up with 11 stitches in his thumb...nice. It was his first hit of the game. The cut was so deep that I saw his tendon (gross). He'll miss championship game tonight.....needless to say, he's mad. The good news is it wasn't his throwing hand! We have to watch it for a few days to make sure he still has movement in his thumb, But I think it will be fine.
The very best part of this story is, I was talking to him about how serious it could have been and I, in my motherly was, said "you need to remember to thank Heavenly Father that it wasn't worse, to which he replied"(with a chest fist bump) I already did....I'm like that now, you know". ...So proud.....in fact, instead of sulking, he was in a good mood the rest of the night. He never ceases to amaze me. He woke up at three in the morning in agony and now is finally back to sleep/ I guess it is time for me to get back to bed too.
15 comments:
That's awesome! (Not that he got hurt and missed the championship, but what he said) What a good kid.
Wow, what a good boy! (I'm hoping you'll save him for one of my girls. I'm thankful there are good moms out there trying to raise good boys.) Chicks dig scars... especially scars with a story.
Poor guy, glad he will survive. And can I have your handbook that you use so I can raise my sons to be as cool as yours? By the way, Carson is BEYOND excited that Tyler is coming over next week. (Make sure you bring their bikes and swimsuits over so we can party!) :)
So was he safe???
He is a great kid. Good Job awesome mom.
Carrie,
He was safe, but the ump called him out...lol
I don't know Linda...stealing 3rd is generally not a very good choice. It is a much easier throw for a catcher. Even a bad catcher would nail you. I'd like to know his reasoning. My sun-shiney view of Jared just dimmed a little.
That other stuff is okay I guess...
Nate, this is Jared. I know its hard for you understand "baseball" I have stolen 3rd three times this year off of decent catchers and I've only ripped the crap out of my hand once. Since there is "90 feet" between bases I can get a pretty good jump on guys...... I have only been thrown out once. (and i was safe) If I have any "softball" questions I will ask Katelyn. :)
ooohhh.....need some ice for that burn?
Oh my young friend...an out is an out even if its a bad call.
2/3 sounds good an all (if you like getting out 33% of the time), but by "reasoning" I was looking for: there was 1 out, and a fly ball hitter up...so 3rd would be a good place to be. And I was hoping not to hear that the guy who gets a base hit 30-40% of the time was up after you hit a double, were in scoring position, with no force outs (since Linda made it about CTR).
And since your math skills seem a little off, ask Katelyn whether: if a runner that can travel at X speed to base Z, and a catcher can throw the ball at Y speed to base Z, what would be the proportional timing difference of arrival (as a function of distance) if both had to run/throw 60ft as opposed to 90ft?
I'm certain that Katie could tell you that (T1-T2)(60)=Y-X and (T1-T2)(90)=Y-X. And if we were to work out T(d), we would find that with the longer the distance...the object with the greater velocity gains a greater advantage. (so Linda can keep up...90FT=worse)
Q.E.D.
(quod erat demonstrandum)
So you have a point...but only if you run faster than the catcher can throw.
This Physics/Algebra/Latin demonstration was brought to you by the letter 'A' which was the grade I always received in any of my classes.
-You're awesome Jared. Next time just hit a triple and save yourself from the mathematical domination by your little sister. Hope your finger gets better soon.
But you still have to factor the amazing courage of my dangerously far leads and my personal confidence in my speed. And going back to the original numbers, I'm safe 75% of the time....(not a very good math score but we weren't talking about math after all) Oops! Someone just leveled the playing field!
-Jared
P.S. nice to talk to you!
thanks uncle math ...I mean Nate
Original #'s? Someone may need a grammar lesson...
"I have stolen 3rd three times this year off of decent catchers and I've only ripped the crap out of my hand once."
Does that total 3 or 4 attempts? It can be read both ways depending on the definition of stolen (e.g. 'attempts' or 'successful attempts'). Sentences like that cost people millions of dollars in attorneys fees in litigation.
Now I'm playing uncle lawyer.
I will grant you dangerously far leads. And there is no doubt that you are the man. Some day you may be as good looking as I am...and then you will have the entire package.
Uncle math. LOL
Jared, you are the bomb DIGGITY.
Post a Comment