Friday, July 24, 2009

We love Ma and Pa Emch

I had to give a big shout out to all the wonderful people who made Trek happen for the kids this year. Jared came home a changed young man. He has talked non stop about the many lessons and experiences he had on the trail. Ma and Pa Emch were apparently "the best". I have so much gratitude for them and their willingness to sacrifice warm beds, showers, and general hygiene to be there. Jared is saying how excited he is that he can go again (we'll see if that is still true in 4 years) His nickname was "Ox", because he pulled the handcart the whole time. (not only for his family but for others who were struggling with hills and stuff) Of course, he forgot to use the disposable camera I got for him, so I can only imagine what it looked like. He said that the 24th of July will never be the same for him again. Thank you, thank you!!!!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

You already had a great kid but, I talked to him a little out there and he was so positive and sweet, I am sure a lot (hopefully all) the kids came home changed too. He is a ox, he told me he helped lifted up and carried two or three of the wheels on the handcart, very impressive.

Linda Barton said...

Thanks Carrie, it's nice to hear that your kids, at the very least, don't embarass themselves when they are away from home:) I am so grateful to you and the other ma's and pa's for going to trek, You all made it a great experience for the kids!

Jill said...

so cool! I think trek is a great refining experience for youth..and leaders. I hope they still do it when my girls are old enough. :-)

Shelley said...

And what was amazing was that he still had enough energy to come home and turn around to play a baseball game. Oh, to have the energy of a teenagers again...

Jenni said...

What a cool experience! It sounds lik he is an amazing guy by what Margie had to say about him today. The poor girls who didn't realize he is only 14! He is a cute guy. These spiritual experiences are so what the youth need, they are what kept me going during those "tough teen years." And it's no surprise how all of your kids are so awesome with the parents they have. You guys are great!