"It's never too late to be who you wanted to be."
Recently I have been in contact (via Facebook) with some of my "old" Young Women from our last ward. It's been fun blog stalking them and seeing what they are up to. It's been over 10 years since I've seen most of them. (BTW, Brent was their SS teacher) Some are happy, some not so much. Of course you don't have "favorite" girls, but you kinda' do.... There were many girls who touched my heart and will always be special to me. (side note: Talk about make you feel old! They have beautiful children and remember when Jared and Katelyn were babies!) This quote was on one of their blogs and I liked it.
"It's never too late to be who you wanted to be" can mean so many different things if you think about it long enough. I have taken the opportunity to think about who I am vs. who I wanted to be. Some things changed because of maturity and realizing what I though was soooo important...well, just isn't. Some things I am realizing how deeply important they are and wouldn't trade for anything.
So, in case you had nothing to ponder.....think about it. In what ways are you who you wanted to be, what ways are you needing to change, and what ways have you let go of because you grew up and found out who you REALLY wanted to be.... (I know, I know. Random ramblings AGAIN!) Thanks again, "old" Young Women! I always learned from you and I still am.
Who do you want to be? One lesson I never got to teach was giving a challenge to them to write a speech that they would like their best friend/spouse to give about them on their 50th birthday. So, I DARE you to think about it, what would you want your friends to say? What do you want to be remembered for? And the big, scary question, are you living you life in a way that would make those things true about you? (now of course, these girls were teenagers, maybe we need to bump up the b-day to 100 lol) Good luck...
6 comments:
Good thought, I'll be pondering your post today...That's neat that you keep in contact with those girls. I bet you you've made just as big of an impact (or more) on them than they've made on you. Sometimes I feel like I owe my eternal salvation to some of my old YW/SS teachers. We never know who we're influencing for good or bad, so it's important that we focus on who we want to be and work on righteous ways to be that person. You inspired me today, and I always need constant reminders to keep me on the straight and narrow. (I'm kind of a rebel like that.) Thank you!
Thanks, Linda! That's so true, I think many people give up on themselves and say that it's too late to change, etc. because of mistakes. That's what the gospel is all about- changing and repenting, relying on the Atonement. That's why Jesus did what He did. So, I'll be giving that more thought, too. The future is bright- there are no mistakes in it!
I love the writing a speech idea. I think it could be very inspiring. When you felt like you were slipping a bit you could pull out your speech and remind yourself of who you want to be and what goals you want to accomplish. Wait, that sounds like my patriarchal blessing. I guess the Lord already know what I can become and every time I read my blessing it reminds me of who I want to be. Thanks for the reminder! You are awesome!
It's kinda funny. When you approach forty (as some of us inevitably are, you really start wondering who you want to be for the rest of your life. I hope I am just a nice, loving mother, wife and friend.
Thanks Shauna for your reminder about patriarchal blessings. Duh! That gives me some inspiration when I don't know if what I'm doing is making any difference. I love the comments from kids, just ask them what they think of you. Was it your Dad, Linda, that all the kids said, "I was Dad's favorite", "NO, I was Dad's favorite!!". I'd like to be remembered like that, everyone thinks I loved them the best.
I know you love ME best MC!!!
Post a Comment