Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blessings and trials

angels-round-us

“I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand, and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts; and my angels round about you, to bear you up.”
D&C 84:88

I have been pondering what exactly this means not only to me but to all of you. I recently re-read a book by President Eyring in which he says that we all need to learn how to call down the blessings from Heaven that are available for us. This is a blessing that I too often forget about.

So, my quick post today is a reminder that the Lord not only knows our circumstances, but goes before us to prepare the way, while constantly being by our side and in our hearts with angles to bear us up. It is our responsibility to seek His guidance and direction through our trials so not only do we get through them, but we gain a deeper testimony along the way. If you don't feel the love of God right now, ask yourself ....why? Are you seeking it? Is there something keeping you from feeling it?

Now for one moment, think of how in hindsight, the Lord prepared the way for you. Now think of your current trail and try with foresight to see what might be being prepared for your benefit. That seems to help me have a positive outlook when faced with adversity.

Some of the best advice I have received was from a friend who was faced with the un-employment of her husband. She said that she received a prompting to not panic and worry so much or she would miss the blessings and miracles in their life that came as a result of their trials. I too have seen miracles that would have otherwise been missed were it not for her kind words.

Take a deep breath, the Lord "....will go before your face. He will be on your right hand and on your left, and His Spirit shall be in your heart; and His angels round about you, to bear you up."

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Wow, that was awesome! I have goose-bumps! It's always nice to have the reminder that we are never alone. Thanks for that, that made my day. ;)

Shelley said...

Thanks Linda. I like the part where you remind us to think ahead and try to see how he has prepared us for the trials we are going through at this very moment. And I love that picture. You're awesome!

Marianne said...

Sometimes the Lord's hand is the only thing holding me up, and I know it. Thanks for the reminder!

Nate said...

you gave me a random comment so here you go...

Did I ever tell you the story of the Hurts donut?

Nate said...

To all the observers...Linda thinks that was hilarious.