Friday, January 30, 2009

French Fry Tax?



Imagine my surprise when I heard "Utahns are willing to vote to raise their taxes again." lol
You might know that I will have an opinion on this.
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can raise taxes to discourage use. What's next????French fries...seriously they make us fat....that's not healthy. I just heard of a "fat tax" being imposed on soft drinks in New York, not on diet drinks, just the the potentially fat causing ones. When do we say enough is enough. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can tax the "heck" out of it to discourage its use. Think about it, smoking is a choice...perhaps a bad one, but it is a choice. Once you start taking away freedoms, where does it stop? They justify the tax increase by saying it will eliminate the food sales tax....a worthy cause, sure. However, at the same time they are taxing smokers, discouraging them from smoking, they are relying on the revenue (from people smoking)to fund other programs. It just doesn't make mathematical sense.
I want the government to stay out of my business. First cigarettes, next Pepsi....think about it.

Also, I first heard this story on channel 2 news, they took the liberty of breaking down how many LDS members supported the tax making it seem like we were ready to wage another war like we did with prop 8. Belonging to whatever church you see fit is another freedom. When will they start attacking that too.(Oh wait, they already have)

In short(ha-ha), be careful, my friends. The news was able to slam smokers and church members on a bill that is only being proposed in the Utah Legislature. When the bill gets voted down I bet we'll see it on the next ballot for our vote.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I agree 100% Linda! There is no way that the govt needs to be any more involved in the choices I make. It seems they want to take away more and more of my decisions. No thanks! As soon as they start taxing chocolate, I'm outta here! :)

Nate said...

It is also a scary precedent when a majority is willing to pass laws like that. If you think about it, the USA is already set to make things like this happen. Pretty soon less than 50% of voters will pay federal income tax. They will be able vote themselves more of a free ride.

Not unlike...lets stop paying grocery tax and mess with other people for it.