Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vote! (but if you don't, I won't judge you) :)

I've got to be honest... I wasn't going to vote today. The prospect of long lines and not feeling passionate about any particular issue(except pres. but we no that our vote doesn't REALLY matter). However, patriotism got the better of me. I drove Jared to Oquirrh Middle school this morning for an all-day SBO confrence at BYU. I passed the polling place and decided to go in. No shower, no bra, not a brush for my hair, mind you, naively thinking "I won't see anyone I know". Out of the 20 or so people there, I knew 10 of them. One women was so nice as to say "wow, you clean up nicely" #%&@!! was the name I called her in my head.
God bless America! You know what I mean? I am thankful for the right to vote, I can't believe I almost didn't do it. My dad served in the State Senate for 20 years, I know the differece that a good politicain can make. They are out there(good politicians, I mean). When people start thinking they can't make a difference is when we all suffer. As for the lady who felt the need to insult me, I'll take my dad's advice, "If someone offends you, think of one nice thing about that person." hmmm....here it is,....still thinking......she...no that's not good.....okay. She looks very pretty when she smiles. :) She is very outgoing, and laughs alot. Does 3 things make up for the bad name?

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You are so awesome! I wasn't going to vote either, but then I thought...what if no one voted because they thought it wouldn't matter? Then we'd have a governor that does annoying commercials and gets arrested for being a jerk. Do I have to say three nice things about him now? =)

Marianne said...

I always think of a great come back comment about an hour after I see somebody like that. Don't listen to her, she's really just jealous!

Shelley said...

Maybe she was just trying to compliment you in her own round-about way. ;)

Heather said...

Good job, Linda! It's true that we sometimes take the right to vote for granted- how would we feel if we weren't allowed to vote? I would be angry!! You write such wonderful posts, keep 'em coming!!

Jill said...

Good job for getting out there! And thanks for not judging me!! UHHGG..SO many times today I thought I would have a chance to run over and vote, then poop..or eating...or napping got in the way..and that was all just for me.lol I have decided that America will forgive me this year, but there was always a vote in my heart. Although if I had shown up, I could have saved you from the mean comment. All attention would have been drawn to me and all my greasyness!! :-)

brees said...

I am glad that you voted. John talked a lot about your dad tonight, he and Abbey watched the polls all night long. It was nice, she learned a lot about voting,(she went with John) and a lot about a sweet, awesome, very missed grandpa that she never got the chance to know. I MISS HIM.

Linda Barton said...

My dad was pretty amazing. I remember many, many election nights. The first time he ran, I was in Kindergarten, I couldn't stay up and watch results. But in the morning when I found out he won it was pretty cool. Did you ever go with us to the State capitol on the last night of the session? It was fun to feel important. I loved when the Govenor would tell me how great my dad was....good times....miss it.

Nate said...

I remember staying up late on election nights with my dad...which is funny because I don't remember Linda or John there. I remember that he never made us go to school the next morning. We always went out to breakfast and celebrated and got to school by lunchtime.

It was funny sitting with Austin for a sec, breaking down the electoral college process and the purpose for it (I even went into federalism arguments), telling about local races and how they effect us, etc.